Announcement Date: October 5, 2023
Closing Date: When Position is Filled
Announcement Number: 23-14
Job Title: Skilled Laborer/Small Engine Mechanic
Hours of work: Monday – Thursday, 6:30 AM-4:30 PM (normally)
FLSA Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Nature of Work
This is a skilled manual labor position responsible for the repair and maintenance of small engines on powered equipment used in the daily operations of the Street/Maintenance Department. Work also may involve supporting labor force within the department. Work is performed and reviewed under the direct supervision of the Assistant Street/Maintenance Supervisor and under the general supervision of the Street/Maintenance Supervisor.
- Diagnosis, adjust, repairs, and/or overhauls small engines used to power lawn mowers, chain saws, weed eaters, jack hammers, concrete mixers, skill saws, concrete saws, and other departmental equipment.
- Diagnosis, adjust, and repair tractor implements.
- Performs general, seasonal, and preventive maintenance task necessary to keep vehicles, equipment, and tools in operable condition, which may include inspecting equipment, checking fluid levels, replacing fluids, greasing equipment, washing/cleaning equipment, and cleaning work areas; monitors equipment operations to maintain efficiency and safety; reports faulty equipment; provides information to employees on equipment maintenance.
- Test machinery, equipment, and parts for proper operations; reports problem situations.
- Maintains, sharpens, and repairs hand tools.
- Maintains records of maintenance and repairs; discusses cost of equipment repair in comparison to equipment replacement with appropriate personnel; provides information to employees on equipment maintenance.
- Maintains inventory on supplies and parts; organizes parts and supply room.
- Operates a variety of machinery, equipment, and tools associated with departmental operations.
- Transports, loads, and unloads various equipment and materials used in departmental projects and operation.
- Performs general facility maintenance and site clean-up.
- These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive duties. Other duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any given time at the discretion of the Street/Maintenance Supervisor. It may be done formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of manual labor associated with maintenance and repair within street/maintenance department of municipal properties.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation and maintenance of applicable hand and powered tools, and light to heavy equipment used in daily operations of street/maintenance department.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the operation of assigned equipment and associated manual labor tasks.
- Knowledge of applicable traffic laws.
- Considerable knowledge of equipment maintenance principles and practices.
- Skilled in the operation of applicable hand, power tools, and equipment used in street/maintenance department activities.
- Skilled in troubleshooting, diagnosing, repairing, and overhauling of tools and/or equipment of the trade.
- Skilled in the operation and maintenance of motor driven equipment used in public works activities.
- Skilled in conducting inspections for potential safety hazards.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to read and interpret reference materials to guide maintenance and repairs.
- Ability to follow simple oral or written instructions.
- Ability to operate light power equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with supervisors, co-workers, vendors, general public, and those in contact in the course of work.
- Ability to perform essential functions
- Valid unrestricted Driver’s License with driving record suitable for insurability.
- Valid Class B Commercial Drivers License with driving record suitable for insurability.
- Sufficient physical strength and agility to perform manual labor and to work in very cold and hot temperatures and work in inclement weather.
- Sufficient physical strength to lift and carry at least 80 pounds; ability to walk, step, bend, kneel, squat, twist, climb, push, pull, and reach frequently.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities, and other essential functions (as covered under the ADA) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be ask to perform other duties required. This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and position responsibilities. Nothing in the job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY