Job Title: Custodian
Department: General (City Hall)
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt (Reg. PS Grade 6: $11.23 – $16.40)
Announcement No.: 21-06
Announcement Date: February 26, 2021
Close Date: When Position is Filled
Nature of Work:
This is manual laborer work associated with the cleaning, limited maintenance, and caretaking duties of city buildings and properties. Work follows established routine and requires self-motivation and little direct supervision. Work is reviewed by the city clerk primarily through inspection of work performed.
- Vacuums, sweeps, scrubs, mops, strips, waxes, and polishes floors and stairwells.
- Cleans, dusts, and polishes, furniture.
- Scrub, cleans and washes windows, walls, woodwork, equipment, and light fixtures as necessary to maintain proper physical appearance and cleanliness.
- Cleans and sanitizes breakrooms and restrooms including fixtures; Replaces restroom/breakroom supplies and paper products.
- Gathers and empties trash and recyclables.
- Mixes cleaning solutions and chemicals in preparation for cleaning, according to instructions.
- Replaces light bulbs, batteries, and soap dispensers as needed.
- Maintains inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment.
- Sets-up Town Hall as needed for rentals, City Council meetings and City Court.
- Polices outside grounds and keeps clean of trash and debris.
- Responsible for raising and lowering of flags.
- Performs related work as assigned or required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of commercial cleaning methods and procedures, materials, and supplies.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety rules.
- Skilled in the use of cleaning equipment such as vacuum cleaners, buffers, sanitizers, and blowers.
- Skilled in the use of manual cleaning tools such as mops, brooms, and sweepers.
- Ability to make minor repairs and adjustments to building fixtures and equipment.
- Ability to prioritize and plan work activities to meet deadlines and/or goals.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Ability to be self-motivated and work under little supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with supervisor, co-workers, elected officials, general public, and those in contact in course of work.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
Sufficient physical strength to lift at least 50 pounds; Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.; Ability to step, climb, squat, push, and pull; Ability to raise arms above head.
- Possess valid Alabama Driver’s license with driving record suitable for insurability.
- Any combination of experience and training equivalent a minimum of 2 years of experience in commercial cleaning methods, procedures, and equipment use.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Avenue, Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned Personnel Office via hand delivery, US mail, fax, or email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORNUNITY EMPLOYER
PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY