Job Title: Equipment Fabricator
Department: Sanitation Department
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Announcement No.: 19-16
Announcement Date: June 12, 2019
Closing Date: June 26, 2019
The City of Guntersville currently has an opening for Equipment Fabricator with the Sanitation Department. The primary duties and responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Inspects, repairs, and does minor overhauls on sanitation dumpsters, trucks, recycling trailers and related sanitation and recycling equipment.
- Performs preventive maintenance, scheduled repairs, replacement of worn parts and adjustments to sanitation and recycling equipment.
- Performs oxy-acetylene and electric arc welding and burning; performs general blacksmithing.
- Constructs sanitation/recycling product from prepared components or by welding, cutting and fabricating of metal materials.
- Maintains records of work performed, parts required and other information as required.
- Performs emergency road service for equipment outside garage as required.
- Cleans and maintains garage and work area in orderly fashion.
- Performs related work as assigned or required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, materials, tools, and standard practices of the fabrication trade.
- Some knowledge of the operation and maintenance of equipment used in sanitation work.
- Some knowledge of hydraulic systems of equipment used in sanitation work.
- Considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the work.
- Skilled in operating and maintaining a wide variety of hand, power and shop tools and equipment used in work.
- Skilled in operating and maintaining oxy-acetylene and electric arc welding equipment.
- Skilled in fabrication techniques and methods.
- Ability to understand and follow simple oral & written instructions.
- Ability to evaluate, detect, and diagnose trouble in departmental equipment and ability to repair such equipment.
- Ability to drive sanitation truck when necessary.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the general public, department heads, supervisors, co-workers, and those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to work overtime hours when necessary.
- Ability to work in inclement weather.
- Ability to perform essential functions of job.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class B Commercial Alabama driver’s license with driving record suitable for insurability or ability to obtain within three months of employment.
- Any combination of experience and training equivalent to some level of experience in the field of fabrication, or graduation from an approved course in the trade, and graduation from a senior high school or equivalent
- Physical Requirements:
- Sufficient physical strength to lift and carry at least 50 pounds; ability to stand and walk 8 hours a day.
- Sufficient physical strength and agility to perform manual labor and to work in very cold and hot temperatures and work in inclement weather.
- Application Process: Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave, Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until 4:30 on June 26, 2019. THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACEWE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY
- EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER