***JOB ANNOUNCEMENT ***
Job Title: Youth Services Librarian
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Announcement No.: 19-02
Announcement Date: February 8, 2019
Closing Date: Until Position is Filled
The City of Guntersville currently has an opening for Youth Services Librarian. The primary essential functions and knowledge, skills and abilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide professional assistance to youth and adults in the use of the Library.
- Plan, implement, and manage youth activities and programs for children and teens.
- Publicize library events and material.
- Maintain monthly statistical reports on youth circulation and programming.
- Manage materials selection, collection development, and weeding within the Library’s children and teen collections.
- Participate in professional development to maintain an awareness of children’s and teen literature, services, professional trends, methods, and ethics.
- Develop, schedule, and implement training, materials, and services offered by the Library to the community to include providing facility tours.
- Cooperate positively and productively with library staff, city employees, community agencies, and the general public to fulfill the Library’s Mission Statement.
- Performed other related work as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of the principles, methods, and materials of library services.
- Thorough knowledge of children and teen development, literature, formats, and interest.
- Knowledge of integrated library systems, software packages (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Publisher), social media uses for libraries, digital content, and networking basics.
- Skill to operate a computer and applicable software (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Publisher), including internet, specialized library databases, and software applications.
- Interest in and enthusiasm for working with children and teens, as well as their parents, teachers, and caregivers.
- Ability to plan, implement, publicize, and evaluate materials and services for children and teens.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with supervisor, co-workers, sub-ordinates, patrons, general public, and those in contact in the course of work.
- Ability to frequently lift 25 pounds, to stand for at least an hour at a time, and frequently reach heights of 72 inches.
- Ability to perform essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science from an American Library Association accredited program preferred.
- Four (4) years of any combination of the following: Education and/or training in Library Science; experience working in libraries, or experience working with children and/or teens in a professional setting.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave., Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY