Job Title: Library Assistant (Part-Time/Approximately 29 hrs./week)
Announcement Number: 24-06
Announcement Date: February 28, 2024
Closing Date: Until Position is Filled
Nature of Work:
This position consist of administrative task and semi-professional work associated with providing library services to the general public. This position requires considerable contact with the public and requires interpersonal skills. Work is reviewed primarily by the Circulation Manager and takes general supervision from the Assistant Director or Director.
- Provides assistance and information to library users; registers new patrons for library cards and updates patron information as needed; assist patrons in locating materials.
- Checks books in and out; places holds and renews books; checks condition of books and materials when returned.
- Checks on overdue books; collects payment for late, damaged, lost books, or lost material.
- Sorts, organizes, and shelves library material.
- Answers phone and directs patrons to appropriate staff.
- Set-up and break down meeting rooms for library programs.
- Maintains an orderly appearance of the Guntersville Public Library.
- Assist library staff as needed.
- These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive duties. Other duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any given time at the discretion of the Director of Library Services or immediate supervisor. It may be done formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, and math.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Knowledge of library material categorization within areas such as fiction, non-fiction, and reference.
- Skill in the operation of modern office equipment, personal computer, and applicable software.
- Ability to understand and follow simple written and oral instructions.
- Ability to explain rules, polices, and procedures of the Guntersville Pubic Library to patrons and general public in a polite and helpful manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisor, co-workers, patrons, general public, and those in the course of work.
- Ability to work as a team member to fulfill the Library’s Mission Statement.
- Ability to work evenings and Saturdays.
High School Diploma or GED equivalent with ability to demonstrate the above listed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities.
Experience in public service preferred.
Ability to lift on an occasional basis a maximum of 50 pounds with frequent or constant lifting of 25 pounds. Ability to stand for at least an hour at a time. Ability to reach heights of 72 inches on a frequent basis. Ability to bend, kneel, squat, twist, push, and pull on a frequent basis.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities, and other essential functions (as covered under the ADA) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be ask to perform other duties required. This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and position responsibilities. Nothing in the job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Avenue, Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to the Human Resource Department. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY