Job Title: Building Official
FLSA Class: Exempt
Announcement No.: 18-21
Announcement Date: October 17, 2018
Closing Date: November 7, 2018
The City of Guntersville currently has an opening for Building Official in the Building Inspection Department. The primary essential job functions and knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Plans, organizes, directs, supervises and coordinates the operations of the City’s Building Inspection Department.
- Supervises, directs, provides instruction, coordinates activities and evaluates and reviews work of assigned staff.
- Interprets, explains, and enforces Federal and State regulatory codes, City ordinances, and sub-division ordinances, as well as the permit process, to the public, contractors, architects and engineers.
- Receives and reviews plans and drawings for commercial and residential construction; examines specifications and plans to ensure proposed work complies with City ordinances and building codes; recommends methods of improvement; recommends issuance of permits and fees.
- Receives and reviews site plans drawings and specifications for new developments.
- Inspects all phases of commercial and residential building construction to ensure compliance with City ordinances and building codes; researches construction methods and materials; approves alternate materials and methods for construction.
- Conducts final inspection of completed workmanship, installation and use of proper materials as well as compliance with City ordinances and building codes; approves and issues certificate of occupancy; issues stop work orders; revokes building permits.
- Oversees the administration of the permitting process to ensure compliance with applicable City ordinances and building.
- Enforces City nuisance ordinances involving unsanitary and unsafe conditions; inspects and condemns buildings deemed to be unsafe for human occupancy and notifies property owners as to when building must be repaired or demolished.
- Accepts applications for special exceptions and variances for forwarding to Board of Adjustments and/or Planning Board.
- Reviews new building codes for adoption, rejection, or amendment; proposes amendments to building codes, City ordinances, sub-division ordinances and nuisance ordinances.
- Develops and delivers reports and presentations to the Mayor, City Council and public groups concerning policies, projects and regulatory compliance issues.
- Maintains a comprehensive, current knowledge and awareness of applicable laws/regulations; attends training courses, seminars & workshops to include attending courses to maintain certifications.
- Attend Council meetings, hearings and meetings as required; serves on committees as required.
- Responds to citizens’ questions and comments in a courteous and timely manner.
- Provides expert testimony in connection with legal actions involving City business and building codes.
- Serves as secretary of the Guntersville Planning Commission and Guntersville Board of Adjustments; plans and coordinates monthly Planning Commission meetings; plans and coordinates meetings of Board of Adjustments as required.
- Oversees the preparation, maintenance, and storage of proper documents and department records.
- Supervises the maintenance, repair and construction of City buildings.
- Serves as City ADA Coordinator.
- Performs related work as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of ICC codes, National/International Fire codes, IEC Electrical codes and applicable City ordinances pertaining to construction, nuisance, zoning and subdivision regulations.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the methods, practices and code requirements involved in the inspection of projects both residential and commercial construction to include mechanical, electrical, plumbing, concrete, framing and fire protection.
- Considerable knowledge of standard testing practices and code requirements used to detect faults in construction of both residential and commercial projects to include mechanical, electrical, plumbing and fire protection.
- Skills to operate a computer and applicable software such as Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc.), internet and GIS systems as it applies to the Building Department.
- Skills to perform complex mathematical calculations.
- Skills to understand maps, drawing, layouts, blueprints, codes, etc.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work and exercise independent judgment, wisdom, common sense and initiative.
- Ability to understand and work from construction plans and specifications.
- Ability to conduct inspections of residential and commercial buildings to insure compliance with applicable codes.
- Ability to enforce codes and regulations firmly, tactfully and impartially.
- Ability to communicate effectively, concisely, both orally and in writing using both technical and non-technical language and deal tactfully, courteously and helpfully with coworkers, supervisor, architects, engineers, developers, contractors, private agencies, elected officials, property owners and general public.
- Ability to keep records, accurately prepare and submit reports and present presentations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisor, architects, engineers, developers, contractors, private agencies, elected officials, general public and those in contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to supervise staff and handle personnel issues as they arise.
- Ability to perform all essential job functions.
- Ten (10) years of any combination of relevant education, training or experience in the residential and commercial construction trades as an architect, engineer, inspector, contractor or superintendent of construction, five years of which shall have been in supervisory. Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Building Science or related field preferred.
- Must hold a valid Alabama Driver’s License with driving record suitable for insurability.
Special Necessary Requirements:
- Posses Building Inspector Certification through ICC or obtain within 2 years of employment.
- Obtain certification as an Alabama Planning and Zoning Official (CAPZO) within 2 years of employment.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Avenue, Guntersville, AL or from our website at www.guntersvilleal.org.
Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until 4:30 PM on November 7, 2018.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY