Job Title: Director of Parks & Recreation
Department: Parks & Recreation
Classification: Salary, Exempt
Announcement No.: 18-10
Announcement Date: April 18, 2018
Closing Date: May 18, 2018
The City of Guntersville currently has an opening for Director of Parks and Recreation. The primary essential functions and knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for developing and administering a comprehensive city wide recreational program such as athletic leagues, instructional programs and special events, including the maintenance of recreational areas, facilities, and equipment.
- Organizes and directs the activities and the use of public recreational facilities such as playgrounds, swimming pool, athletic fields, nature parks, & community recreational facilities.
- Plans and develops recreational and educational programs and activities for the community to meet community needs and desires; evaluates the effectiveness of programs, and recommends changes and improvements.
- Exercises general supervision over maintenance, beautification and improvements of park and public grounds.
- Assures that program objectives are accomplished through supervision of personnel assigned to specific aspects of the program and evaluates job performance.
- Prepares and manages annual budget for Parks & Recreational Department. Approves and directs expenditures of funds.
- Initiates safety standards and rules ensuring all employees are trained in safety procedures.
- Attends regular Park and Recreation Board meetings and report recommendations to Mayor.
- Responsible for the marketing and promotion of parks and recreation programs and facilities, including web page and social media.
- Performs public relation duties; responds to complaints and handles all league suspensions and rule enforcement.
- Coordinates and monitors contract work.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of objectives of public recreation, including a thorough understanding of activities which make up a community recreational program.
- Extensive knowledge of the facilities and equipment needed in a broad recreational program and of the proper arrangement of recreational areas.
- Thorough knowledge of a wide variety of recreational activities, the associated equipment and necessary safety requirements.
- Considerable knowledge of the methods, equipment and material used in parks and grounds maintenance.
- Considerable knowledge of the established rules which govern organized youth athletics.
- Skilled in operating a computer and applicable software such as Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc.) and internet.
- Ability to plan, organize coordinate, and direct the activities and personnel involved in a well rounded recreational program.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, co-workers, subordinates, city officials, social organizations, and the general public.
- Ability to interpret effectively the policies of the recreational department to the employees and public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work nights and weekends.
- Five (5) years of any combination of relevant education, training or experience in a progressively responsible nature, including considerable experience in a supervisory capacity, in the parks and recreation field. Bachelor’s degree in park and recreational administration or closely related field, from an accredited college or university preferred.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License with driving record suitable for insurability.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Avenue, Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until 4:30 PM on May 18, 2018.