Job Title: Library Director
Department: Public Library
FLSA Classification: Salary, Exempt
Announcement No.: 18-23
Announcement Date: November 8, 2018
Closing Date: November 26, 2018
The City of Guntersville currently has an opening for Director in the Public Library Department. The essential functions and knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position, but not limited to the following:
- Plans, directs, manages, and coordinates all the activities of the Library; promulgates and supervises adherence to rules and regulations of the Library.
- Supervises, directs, provides instruction, and evaluates work of Library staff; ensures adherence to city policy and procedures and departmental guidelines; completes job performance evaluations on subordinate employees.
- Instructs personnel in general policies and procedures; conducts staff meetings; conducts informal training in library techniques and procedures.
- Conducts a variety of public relations activities in interpreting the library to the public and in stimulating its use by the public including hosting special events, programs, workshops, and other activities to promote use of the library.
- Meets with the Library Board on a regular bases in the interest of planning, library services, physical and program additions to the Library, and other matters.
- Prepares grant applications for special additions to the Library; plans and administers acquisitions for collection development; supervises purchases; assist as needed in cataloging, weeding, and repairing of collection.
- Assist as needed with collections, serving patrons, answering phone, answering questions or assisting with research request, and shelving library needs.
- Oversees the financial operations of the Library. Ensures all funds received and disbursed in accordance with the established accounting principles.
- Prepares and manages budget and works in public fund raising.
- Establish long range goals for the growth and development of the Library’s services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of principles, methods, and materials of library administration.
- Thorough knowledge of reader interest levels, and of books and authors.
- Considerable knowledge of the basic operations and practices of the publishing trade.
- Advanced skills to operate a computer and applicable software (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, etc.), including internet, and specialized library databases and software applications.
- Ability to effectively plan, organize, and administer the overall operations of the municipal library system.
- Ability to explain the operations and services of the library system to the public and to conduct effective public relations.
- Ability to analyze the library needs and to evaluate library services and equipment.
- Ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to effectively supervise assigned personnel.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with supervisors, co-workers, subordinates, elected officials, patrons, general public, and those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to perform all essential job functions.
- A Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science from an American Library Association accredited program is a preferred for this position. Candidates that are currently enrolled in a qualifying degree program will be considered. A candidate should also have ten (10) years of any combination of relevant education, training or experience sufficient to perform essential functions, five years of which shall have been in a supervisory position. Examples of relevant experience include public library experience and/or experience working directly with children, teens, and adults providing direct customer service.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Avenue, Guntersville, AL or from our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until 4:30 PM on November 26, 2018.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY