Job Title: Athletic Supervisor
Department: Parks & Recreation
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt (Reg PS Grade 11: $14.79-$21.60)
Announcement Number: 20-17
Announcement Date: September 22, 2020
Closing Date: Until Position is Filled
- Organizes, coordinates, implements, evaluates, and supervises a diversified athletics program to meet the needs of the community.
- Monitors the activities of tournaments, leagues and/or programs on a nightly or weekly basis to ensure quality instruction and that the program objectives are met; works with team & league officials in the organization of rules & regulations for programs, schedules and related actions for specific programs.
- Recruits, recommends, trains, supervises, schedules and evaluates staff, coaches, scorekeeper’s, volunteers, and officials; approve time cards for part time staff and turn in hours to departmental payroll clerk or Director of Parks and Recreation; approve time/games for scorekeeper’s and turn in to appropriate personal.
- Represents the department with the public and with outside groups, organizations and agencies; responds to a wide variety of questions, comments and/or concerns; resolves related complaints; take active roll in the Alabama Recreation & Parks Association.
- Coordinate maintenance and game prep on fields; perform maintenance or game prep on fields as needed.
- Creates program schedules and activities calendars.
- Procures proper supplies, materials, and equipment for athletic programs; responsible for issuing, collecting, maintenance and properly storing of all athletic equipment and uniforms; ensures appropriate facilities are available and ready for utilization.
- Maintains a complete record system of activities conducted, participation level, and results of league contests. Responsible for any revenues collected as a result of activities to include financial reports that summarize and/or outline incoming and outgoing funds.
- Performs related work as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of rules and regulations, facilities, and playing field up keep pertaining to City sponsored sporting events.
- Considerable knowledge of typical programs, leagues, and activities normally sponsored by municipalities of similar size.
- Knowledge of modern principles, methods, and techniques of supervision, administration and program planning.
- Skilled in operating a computer, applicable software, and internet.
- Ability to professionally represent the City to the general public, outside groups, organizations, and associations.
- Ability to work flexible hours to include nights and weekends.
- Ability to interpret and explain rules, regulations and expectations in a clear and unambiguous manner.
- Ability to facilitate proper and efficient record keeping.
- Ability to communicate clear and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patrons of parks and programs; ability to deal tactfully, courteous, and helpfully to patrons and general public.
- Ability to plan, schedule, coordinate, and oversee recreational programs and sites.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with supervisor, co-workers, subordinates, organizations, associations, park patrons, general public and those in contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to resolve issues and/or complaints between participants, coaches, and spectators in a firm but diplomatic manner.
- Ability to perform essential job functions.
- Must be a graduate of an accredited high school or hold a certificate of high school equivalency (GED). Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in physical education, recreation, or related field preferred.
- Any combination or experience and training equivalent to some experience in physical education, parks and recreation or related field.
- Must hold a valid Alabama Driver’s License with driving record suitable for insurability.
- CPR, first aid, and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) training preferred.
Sufficient strength to lift and carry 50 pounds.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Avenue, Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.