Job Title: School Crossing Guard (Part Time/Seasonal)
Department: Police Dept.
Announcement No.: 20-02
Announcement Date: July 23, 2020
Closing Date: Until Position is Filled
The City of Guntersville currently has an opening for School Crossing Guard. This is a part-time, seasonal position. The essential functions and knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Traffic control to ensure safety of students entering and exiting school by using hand signals, signs, or flags.
- Ensure students are made award of hazards that may be posed to them when crossing street, without paying attention to the surroundings.
- Stops and warns unsafe drivers of traffic laws and safety concerns as needed.
- Reports to SRO or school official any unsafe, unusual, or suspicious activity that is noticed around school parking lots or grounds.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of traffic and pedestrian laws, rules, and regulations and ability to demonstrate such knowledge.
- Knowledge of crosswalks, road entrance and exits, and traffic flow patterns at designated school locations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, courteously, and tactfully with the general public.
- Ability to establish and maintain and effective working relationship with supervisors, co-workers, school officials, teachers, bus drivers, general public and those in contact in the course of work.
- Ability to control traffic flow while escorting pedestrians across road.
- Ability to react calmly and quickly to emergency situations.
- Ability to learn from observation.
- Ability to report to work 2 shifts daily (morning and afternoon) and to provide regular and predictable attendance.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and report to early dismissals as necessary.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Must have a valid Alabama Driver’s License.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and to perform crossing guard duties in any weather condition.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave., Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.Guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY