Job Title: Driver
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt (Grade 8: $12.25 – $17.88)
Announcement No.: 20-16
Announcement Date: September 17, 2020
Closing Date: Until Position is Filled
The City of Guntersville currently has an opening for a Driver with the Sanitation Department. The primary essential functions and knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Drives and operates refuse collection truck in a safe, efficient, and legal manner on assigned route; ensures route is completed in a safe and timely manner, including assisting on other routes to meet customer needs.
- Assist in collecting and loading operations as needed.
- Inspects refuse truck daily to ensure vehicle is properly equipment, serviced, and cleaned; reports needed repairs or safety issues to supervisor; performs minor maintenance as needed or required.
- Serves as crew leader over assigned employees engaged in manual laborer.
- Courteously interacts with customers ensuring customers are serviced in a professional and timely manner.
- Reports any service issues such as blocked alleyways, over-weight containers, safety hazards, or impassible streets to supervisor; reports needed container repairs or replacements to supervisor.
- Clears waste from packer blade and truck body on each trip to disposal site.
- Performs related work as assigned or required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of traffic laws and regulations involved in equipment operations.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the operations of assigned equipment associated with manual labor task.
- Knowledge of street and address locations.
- Excellent truck driving/maneuvering skills.
- Time management skills to ensure duties are completed in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ability to read and understand map.
- Ability to make simple field repairs and adjustments to assigned equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, subordinate employees, customers, general public and those contacted in the course of work. relationships with the general public.
- Ability to interact with customers in a professional and courteous manner.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to work overtime, including weekends and holiday when necessary.
- Sufficient physical strength to lift at least 50 pounds and carry it to the truck, ability to walk 8 hours a day.
- Ability to perform all essential functions.
- Currently hold a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class A or B, with driving record suitable for insurability.
- Two years of commercial driving experience preferred.
- Sufficient physical strength to lift and carry 75 pounds; ability to walk, kneel, squat, climb, push, pull, and to sit for prolong periods of time.
- Ability to work in very cold and hot temperatures and to work in inclement weather.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave., Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY