Job Title: Lifeguard (Seasonal)
Department: Parks & Recreation
Announcement No.: 18-09
Announcement Date: March 15, 2018
Closing Date: May 31, 2018
The City of Guntersville currently has openings for Lifeguards at the Guntersville Parks and Recreation Center. This position is part time/seasonal. The essential functions and knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Monitors swimming pool and all related facilities during assigned shift to ensure and enforce safety codes and standards and prevent injuries and fatalities.
- Caution swimmers regarding unsafe practices and maintains the authority to discipline and/or remove violators from City pool property.
- Rescues swimmers in distress or danger of drowning.
- Administers first aid and contacts emergency personnel immediately when necessary.
- Inspects and maintains pool and swimming facility, including general cleaning duties to but not limited to, restrooms, showers, deck and pavilion.
- Collets money from pool patrons for admittance.
- Monitors patrons signing in to use pool and ensures an accurate maintenance of such lists.
- Maintains all necessary records and writes and files reports on pool activities and specific incidents and accidents as required.
- Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems.
- Attends meetings and training sessions as required by Aquatics Supervisor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of standard aquatics life saving procedures, including rescuing swimmers from drowning, instructing and discipline unsafe pool practices and administering first aid.
- Thorough knowledge of First Aid instruction procedures and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of CPR and other related life saving techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of general swimming skills.
- Ability to swim at a highly competent level for the purpose of rescuing others in danger of drowning.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends.
- Ability to observe multiple patrons at a time, consistently scanning the environment.
- Ability to identify and react quickly to emergencies or threats to patron safety and health.
- Ability to communicate well with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures and instructions.
- Ability to prepare accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, emergency personal, pool patrons and general public.
- Must possess a current Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR, AED & First Aid Certification.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
( Lifeguard Certification classes will be held at the Guntersville Parks and Recreation Center during the month of May. For more information concerning dates and hours contact Wesley Calhoun, Aquatics and Program Supervisor.)
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave., Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until 4:30 PM on May 31, 2018.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY