Job Title: Lifeguard (Seasonal)
Department: Parks & Recreation
Announcement Number: 24-02
Announcement Date: February 6, 2024
Closing Date: When Filled
Nature of Work:
This is a specialized seasonal position that is responsible for the general supervision and safety of patrons of the City Aquatics Facility by preventing and responding to emergencies, by minimizing or eliminating hazardous situations or behaviors, and enforcing safety rules. This position works under the general supervision of the Aquatics Supervisor.
- Monitors swimming pool and all related facilities during assigned shift to ensure and enforce safety codes and standards and prevent injuries and fatalities.
- Caution swimmers regarding unsafe practices and maintains the authority to discipline and/or remove violators from City pool property.
- Rescues swimmers in distress or danger of drowning.
- Administers first aid and contacts emergency personnel immediately when necessary.
- Inspects and maintains pool and swimming facility, including general cleaning duties to but not limited to, restrooms, showers, deck and pavilion.
- Collects money from pool patrons for admittance.
- Monitors patrons signing in to use pool and ensures an accurate maintenance of such lists.
- Maintains all necessary records; writes and files reports on pool activities and specific incidents and accidents as required.
- Keeps immediate supervisor and designated others fully and accurately informed concerning work progress, including present and potential work problems.
- Attends meetings and training sessions as required by Aquatics Supervisor.
- These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive duties. Other duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any given time at the discretion of the Aquatics Supervisor or Parks and Recreation Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of standard aquatics life saving procedures, including rescuing swimmers from drowning, instructing and discipline unsafe pool practices and administering first aid.
- Thorough knowledge of First Aid instruction procedures and practices.
- Thorough knowledge of CPR and other related life saving techniques.
- Thorough knowledge of general swimming skills.
- Ability to swim at a highly competent level for the purpose of rescuing others in danger of drowning.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends.
- Ability to observe multiple patrons at a time, consistently scanning the environment.
- Ability to identify and react quickly to emergencies or threats to patron safety and health.
- Ability to communicate well with others, both orally and in writing, using both technical and non-technical language.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures and instructions.
- Ability to prepare accurate and reliable reports containing findings and recommendations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, emergency personal, pool patrons and general public.
- Must possess a current Red Cross Lifeguard, CPR, AED & First Aid Certification.
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
Lifeguard Certification classes will be held at the Guntersville Parks & Recreation Center on the following dates:
Friday, May 3, 2024 4:00 PM – 9 PM
Saturday, May 4, 2024 8:00 AM – 8 PM
Sunday, May 5, 2024 8:00 AM – 8 PM
All lifeguard candidates must attend all 3 days. For more information about these classes contact Chris Gareri, Aquatics and Program Supervisor.
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities, and other essential functions (as covered under the ADA) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be ask to perform other duties required. This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and position responsibilities. Nothing in the job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Avenue, Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned Personnel Office via hand delivery, US mail, fax, or email. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORNUNITY EMPLOYER
PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY