Job Title: Communications Officer (Dispatcher)
Department: Police Dept.
Pay Grade: PS Grade 3 ($13.58 – $19.82)
Announcement Number: 21-02
Announcement Date: January 19, 2021
Closing Date: When Position is Filled
1. Responsible for receiving, processing, and documenting all calls for service for the Police Department from the public and relaying the information to the appropriate source for assistance.
2. Works with CAD (Computer Aided Dispatch), telephones, radios, recording equipment, etc.
3. Assist Jailer as needed.
4. Performs related work as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
2. Considerable knowledge of the geography and the highway and street systems of the City.
3. Some knowledge of local ordinances and laws.
4. Some knowledge of police terminology.
5. Skilled in the operation of computers, multi-line phones, and electronic data processing.
6. Skilled in handling emergency calls calmly, detecting the scope and magnitude of an emergency; dealing sympathetically with callers and ability to make rapid decisions under emergency conditions.
7. Ability to be helpful, courteous, and deal tactfully with the citizens of Guntersville.
8. Ability to prioritize incoming messages and determine most urgent need.
9. Ability to handle multi-tasks.
10. Ability to handle stressful situations.
11. Ability to achieve and maintain NCIC certification.
12. Ability to communicated clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
13. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, general public, and those in contact in course of work.
14. Ability to perform all essential job functions.
15. Must have a valid Alabama Driver’s License.
16. Ability to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
1. High School Diploma or GED.
2. Any combination of experience and training equivalent to some experience in office work and/or radio communications.
3. Personal background record free of criminal convictions.
4. Must be able to pass physical and drug screening.
1. One year of dispatching experience preferred.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave., Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY