Job Title: Firefighter/EMT
Department: Fire Department
Shift: 24 hour, 1 on 2 off rotation
Classification: Hour, Non-Exempt
Announcement Number: 19-12
Announcement Date: March 27, 2019
Closing Date: Until Positions are Filled
The Guntersville Fire Department is seeking applicants for the positions of Firefighter. The Guntersville Fire Department answered over 2,500 calls in 2018 from 2 fire stations. The Guntersville Fire Department is an ISO Class 3 department and has a proud history of excellence. The Fire Department operates ALS Medical Suburban Units, Fire Engine Companies, a Ladder Truck, a Technical Unit, and other specialized apparatus. Guntersville Fire personnel work a 24-hour shift and 48 hours off schedule. Guntersville Fire offers competitive pay with an incentive pay for Advanced EMT and Paramedic licensure. Guntersville Fire personnel are also offered Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance along with provided benefits of vacation, holiday, sick leave, life insurance, RSA retirement benefit, longevity benefit, and education reimbursement.
Responds to all types of rescue, fire suppression, medical, and non-medical emergency calls, and implements actions required to save lives and property, and protect the environment; operates standard fire suppression, rescue and medical equipment safely and efficiently to achieve desired outcomes while adhering to departmental policies and applicable State or local laws and protocols; performs routine and preventive maintenance of City equipment, facilities and vehicles; following demonstration of competence, drives City vehicles as assigned in a safe manner; participates in non-emergency activities such as fire prevention inspections, public education programs, and public relations events; receives and responds to citizen requests for general information or assistance; monitors departmental radio transmissions and telephones; completes all required reports; must be willing to be trained, certified, licensed or assigned duties deemed necessary by the department; performs other duties as directed or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Some knowledge of the street system, physical layout, and principal buildings of Guntersville, Alabama; skill in the use of computer and applicable software; ability to quickly perform all functions in difficult and hazardous situations, without hesitation, with direction from superiors; ability to comprehend and apply instructions, and communicate information in a clear and concise manner; ability to respond to potentially dangerous situations and make quick and sound decisions; ability to perform physically demanding work and withstand very hazardous conditions; ability to operate fire equipment and tools appropriately; ability to provide emergency medical care within scope of practice; ability to prepare accurate records and reports; ability to effectively communicate with the customer in a professional and courteous manner; ability to communicate effectively both orally and written; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationship with department head, supervisors, co-workers and those in contact in the course of work.
- Valid unrestricted Drivers License
- At least 18 years of age on the date of application
- High school diploma or GED equivalent
- Must not have been convicted of any serious misdemeanors; must not have been convicted of a felony.
- Possess a current Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) from approved AFC test location.
- Current Alabama Firefighter I/II certification
- Current Alabama EMS license, Paramedic preferred
- Current Alabama EVOC or equivalent certification
- Hazardous Material Technician
- NIMS 100, 200, 700, and 800
- Prior Firefighting Experience
Necessary Special Requirements:
- All applicants shall be required to meet the minimum standards set forth by the Alabama Fire College and Personnel Standards Commission, NFPA1001 entrance qualifications and the Code of Alabama for application. If hired, the candidate will be required to successfully complete and maintain training set forth by the previous mentioned bodies to maintain employment, to include Basic Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) through the Alabama Department of Public Health, Office of EMS and Trauma.
- If job offer is made, applicants will be required to successfully complete background check, drug and alcohol screening, and medical examination.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave., Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled
- .THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
- WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY
- EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER