Job Title: Detention/Booking Officer
Department: Police Dept.
Classification: Hourly (PS Grade 2: $11.68 – $17.06)
Announcement No.: 18-27
Announcement Date: December 19, 2018
Closing Date: Until Position is Filled
The City of Guntersville currently has an opening for Detention Officer. The primary essential functions and knowledge, skills and abilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Completes all booking procedures of inmates including arrest reports, fingerprinting, mug shots, and medical screening forms.
- Receive inmate’s personal property, properly log in and out.
- Allow inmates to make phone calls.
- Insure inmates receive three meals a day.
- Monitors inmates and maintains order in Municipal jail as needed. Isolates inmates according to offense or those with severe mental and medical problems when necessary.
- Monitors inmates’ actions to determine health and safety; arranges transportation for ill inmates needing medical attention; dispenses medication when prescribed; issue clean bedding.
- Assign trustee work assignments to do routine cleaning, painting, and scrubbing empty cells after use; monitor work.
- Maintain jail areas and insure windows and doors are secure; monitor fire alarms, smoke detectors and security cameras.
- Check periodically to insure fire extinguishers and emergency lights are functional.
- Conduct bed checks and cell searches for contraband and inmate counts.
- Brief other detention/booking officers of any problems.
- Monitors sentences and insure that the time is up on a jail sentence, that the inmate is properly identified, and that the correct inmate is being released.
- Insure that inmates sign for personal property when released; advise inmates of charges and bond amounts.
- When discharging, check for holds on inmate by other departments. Insure inmates sign bonds when required before release; verify and insures validity of all bonds that are presented and orders to release inmates.
- Completes daily reports and perform daily maintenance inspections.
- Participate in training activities.
- Maintain a professional appearance and attitude.
- Performs related work as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of jail security, inmate rights, first aid, and departmental policies.
- Some knowledge of the procedural laws governing confinement, intake, and release of inmates, and the principles of penal institutional management including enforcement of discipline.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Ability to deal with possible mentally disturbed, violent, hostile, and suicidal inmates and generally stressful situations.
- Ability to work effectively in stressful, emergency or highly emotional situations.
- Ability to read and understand SOP and keep prisoners informed.
- Ability to use all necessary equipment to maintain security, prevents accidents, and responds in an emergency.
- Ability to type, prepare forms, and to make phone calls.
- Ability to deal firmly and tactfully with prisoners and the general public.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective supervisors, co-workers and those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to perform essential functions of job.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. equivalent.
- Must possess a valid Drivers’ License with driving record suitable for insurability.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave., Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.Guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY