Job Title: Laborer
Department: Public Works
Classification: Hourly, Grade 6 ($10.59-$15.46)
Announcement Number: 19-15
Announcement Date: June 5, 2019
Closing Date: Until Position is Filled
The City of Guntersville currently has an opening for a Laborer with the Public Works Department. The essential functions and knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following responsibilities:
- Operate light powered machines used in public works such as power lawn mowers, weed eaters, hand tools, and similar equipment.
- Use shovels and similar hand tools and simple power tools to remove refuse from streets; remove limbs and leaves from streets, right-of-ways and drainage.
- Perform foot detail for manual sweeping, cleaning, or litter pickup.
- Perform limited custodial work, policing areas and grounds, mowing, raking and other manual tasks.
- Performs related work as assigned or required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of grounds maintenance and detail work.
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of hand and power tools.
- Skilled in the use of manual cleaning equipment, rakes, shovels, and brooms.
- Skilled in the operation of light power equipment
- Ability to make simple field repairs and adjustments to assigned equipment.
- Ability to follow simple oral or written instructions.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and overtime when required.
- Ability to establish effective relationships with the general public, performing tasks with courtesy and tact.
- Ability to perform all essential job functions.
- Must possess a valid Driver’s License and have a driving record suitable for insurability.
- Sufficient physical strength to lift and carry at least 80 pounds and to walk for extended periods of time.
- Sufficient physical strength and agility to perform manual labor, work in very
- Application Process:
- Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave., Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
- cold and very hot temperatures, and work in inclement weather.
- THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLANCEWE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY
- EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER