Announcement Date: October 30, 2023
Closing Date: When Position is Filled
Announcement Number: 23-17
Job Title: Skilled Laborer/Truck Driver
Department: Public Works
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt, Grade 7
Hours: M-T, 6 AM – 4:30PM
Nature of Work
This is a skilled labor position responsible for operating light to medium equipment and performing manual labor associated with the construction and maintenance of City properties, streets, roads, easements, and right-of-ways. Depending on assignment, may operate a variety of powered equipment including performing manual labor associated with the repair, maintenance, or new construction. Work is performed under the direction of designated Crew Leader, reviewed and under direct supervision of Street/Maintenance Assistant Supervisor, and under the general supervision of Street/Maintenance Supervisor.
- Responsible for street maintenance, including cleaning and patching streets.
- Responsible for driving trucks and other vehicles used in Public Works department.
- Performs labor associated with installing drain tiles, concrete forming, pouring and finishing, and laying of concrete block.
- Operates a variety light powered machines, equipment, and tools associated with department operations.
- Performs general facility maintenance and site clean-up.
- These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive duties. Other duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any given time at the direction of the Street/Maintenance Supervisor. It may be done formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of street and grounds maintenance.
- Knowledge of manual labor associated with public works, repair, and maintenance of municipal properties.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the operation of assigned equipment and associated manual labor tasks.
- Knowledge of applicable traffic laws.
- Skilled in forming, pouring and finishing of concrete and masonry work.
- Skilled in the use of manual cleaning equipment, rakes, shovels and brooms.
- Skilled in the operation and maintenance of motor driven equipment used in Public Works activities.
- Ability to follow simple oral or written instructions.
- Ability to operate light power equipment.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, vendors, general public, and those in contact in the course of work.
- Ability to perform essential job functions.
- Valid unrestricted Drivers License with driving record suitable for insurability.
- Valid Class B Commercial Drivers License with driving record suitable for insurability.
- Stamina to work in very cold and hot temperatures and inclement weather.
- Sufficient physical strength to lift and carry at least 80 pounds; ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, squat, kneel, crouch, crawl, stoop, stretch, reach, feel, grasp, handle, lift, push, pull, manual dexterity, talk to be heard above ambient noise, and visual acuity at a level to operate motor vehicles
This job description indicates in general the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities, and other essential functions (as covered under the ADA) expected of an incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of an incumbent. An incumbent may be ask to perform other duties required. This job description reflects management’s assignment of essential functions and position responsibilities. Nothing in the job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave., Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to the Personnel Department. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY