Job Title: Youth Services
Librarian Department: Library
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Announcement No.: 21-20
Announcement Date: December 15, 2021
Closing Date: Until Position is Filled
Nature of Work
This position involves highly responsible administrative and technical work associated with providing library services to children and teens. Work will include planning and implementing services and programs that will inspire and create young readers. This position requires considerable contact with public and requires interpersonal skills. Work is performed and reviewed under the general supervision of the Director of Library Services.
1. Plan, implement, and manage engaging activities and programs for children and teens.
2. Develop and maintain children’s and teen collections through selection, acquisition, and weeding (both physical and digital materials).
3. Maintain monthly statistical reports on youth circulation and programming. Investigate and implement new trends, programs, techniques, materials, and equipment to improve library services for children and teens.
4. Promote youth programming and collections through social media, in-house displays, and other forms of written and oral communication.
5. Oversee expenditures within a given budget for youth programming and collection development.
6. Work cooperatively and collaboratively with parents, schools, and other community groups to support youth enrichment and education.
7. Oversee the children’s and teen sections of the library, including the children’s play area and teen room, helping ensure a tidy appearance and general upkeep.
8. Assist Library management in the development of library policies surrounding youth services.
9. Provide professional assistance to the public, including reference questions, reader’s advisory, and instruction on the use of library resources, etc.
10. Help the circulation staff when needed by covering the front desk, answering the phone, and performing circulation tasks such as checking in/out materials, curbside pickups, taking donations, etc.
11. Cooperate positively and productively with library staff and the public to help fulfill the Library’s mission and uphold Library policies and procedures. 12. Perform other related work as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Thorough knowledge of the principles, methods, and materials of library services. Thorough knowledge of the development, literature, and interests of children and teens.
2. Passion and enthusiasm for working with children and teens, as well as their parents, teachers, and caregivers.
3. Skill and knowledge to operate a computer and applicable software, including integrated library systems, software packages (Microsoft Word, Excel, and Publisher), social media, digital content/databases, and networking basics.
4. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
5. Ability to establish and maintain an effective and respectful working relationship with supervisors, co-workers, patrons, vendors, general public, and those in contacted in course of work.
6. Ability to frequently lift 25 pounds, to stand for at least an hour at a time, and reach heights of 72 inches.
7. Ability to work some evenings and weekends.
8. Ability to perform all essential functions as outlined above.
1. Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university. A Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science from an American Library Association accredited program preferred.
2. Four (4) years of any combination of the following: Education and/or training in Library Science, experience working in libraries, or experience working with children and/or teens in a professional setting.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter
Ave., Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to the Personnel Department. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY