Job Title: Heavy Equipment Operator
Classification: Hourly, Exempt
Announcement No.: 21-10
Announcement Date: April 12, 2021
Closing Date: When Position is Filled
Nature of Work
This position consists of skilled work involving the operation of varied equipment in the maintenance of City streets and adjacent areas. This position also requires work involving special projects as needed. Work involves operating heavy equipment on a regular basis. Work is performed under the supervision of the Street/Maintenance Superintendent or Assistant Superintendent.
- Operates assigned equipment including bulldozer, front-end loader, Drott, backhoe, motor grader, dump truck and other related automotive equipment such as tractor, and light and heavy trucks used in support department.
- Operates other power equipment utilized in performance of assigned tasks.
- Perform preventive maintenance by checking readiness of equipment prior to beginning operation.
- Services equipment and makes minor field repairs and adjustments as required.
- Perform manual and skilled labor task associated with the street/maintenance department.
- Performs related work as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the operations of assigned equipment and associated manual labor task.
- Thorough knowledge of the operation, maintenance, adaptabilities, limitations, and safety precautions of the particular equipment to which assignments are made.
- Knowledge of standard practices, methods, and materials used in street and road construction and maintenance.
- Knowledge of blue print and sight planning reading.
- Knowledge of manual labor task associated with construction, repair, or other activities in support of department.
- Skilled in the operation of assigned heavy and specialized automotive and related construction and maintenance equipment.
- Ability to operate equipment over rough, slippery, and similarly unstable surfaces or terrain.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral instructions and to work independently in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Ability to make simple field repairs and adjustments to assigned equipment.
- Ability to cut grade with precision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, department heads, elected officials, general public, and those in contact in the course of work.
- Must possess the physical stamina to operate heavy equipment in hot, cold and inclement weather, plus the strength to handle the equipment 8 hours a day.
- Possession of a valid AL Commercial Class B Driver’s License with good driving record suitable for insurability. Class A CDL preferred.
- Graduation from an accredited High School or GED preferred.
- Any combination of experience and training equivalent to some experience in the operation and routine maintenance of heavy specialized equipment used in the construction, maintenance, and repair of roads and adjacent areas.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave., Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to the Personnel Department. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATED IN E-VERIFY