Announcement Date: February 24, 2023
Closing Date: Until Position is Filled
Announcement No.: 23-04
Job Title: Equipment Operator II
Department: Street Maintenance Department
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Pay Grade: 8
Nature of Work:
This is a skilled position responsible for operating light, medium, and heavy duty trucks and tractors, including manual labor, associated with construction and maintenance of City properties, streets, roads, easements, and right-of-ways. Depending on assignment, may operate a variety of equipment such as truck equipped with dump bed, tractor equipped with attachments, trash loader truck, or sweet sweeper. Also operates light powered equipment such as chain saw, sprayer, jack hammer, along with manual tools, in support of construction projects, routine maintenance, and removal of trees, brush, debris, or other hazards during both normal and outside work hours as directed by supervision. Work is performed under the direction of designated Crew leader and reviewed by the Street/Maintenance Assistant Supervisor and under the general supervision of the Street/Maintenance Supervisor.
(Essential functions listed for this position may vary depending upon assignment within the department.)
- Operates trash loader truck and attachments; loads and hauls brush, debris, trash, and other materials to landfill.
- Drives tractor with mower attachment in order to cut City property or right of way
- Operates light trucks and dump trucks to transport and unload a variety of materials and equipment to a designated site.
- Operates street sweeper.
- Operates other powered equipment utilized in performance of assigned tasks.
- Conducts pre-trip safety inspection, performs routine maintenance and minor field repairs or adjustments and required or needed.
- Checks oil and fluid levels, tire pressure and condition, prior to operating.
- Monitors gauges and other indicators for non-standard conditions when equipment is in operation.
- Notifies supervisor of any mechanical or safety problems encountered.
- Removes trees, bushes, brush, and debris from streets, roads, right of ways, bridges, culverts, and drains.
- Performs manual labor associated with installing drainage tiles, concrete forming and pouring, and masonry work.
- Patches potholes in asphalt.
- Acts as flagman as required or needed.
- Performs related work as assigned or required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the operation and maintenance requirements of motor driven equipment used in construction or maintenance activities.
- Knowledge of applicable traffic laws, ordinances, and regulations.
- Knowledge of manual labor associated with construction, maintenance, and repair of municipal streets, roads, and properties.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the operation of assigned equipment and associated manual labor tasks.
- Skilled in the use of manual hand tools and operation of light powered equipment associated with municipality streets, roads, and property construction and maintenance.
- Ability to operate light power equipment.
- Ability to form, pour, and finish concrete and masonry work.
- Ability to perform basic carpentry.
- Ability to work non-standard hours, including overtime, with could include nights and weekends.
- Ability to follow simple oral or written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with supervisor, co-workers, general public, and those in contact with in the course of work.
- Ability to perform essential functions of job with or without accommodation.
- Sufficient physical strength and endurance to perform manual labor associated loading and unloading trucks, clearing trees and debris; ability and to lift and carry at least 80 pounds.
- Ability to sit, stand, walk, bend, squat, kneel, crouch, crawl, stoop, stretch, reach, feel, grasp, handle, lift, push, pull, manual dexterity, talk to be heard above ambient noise, and visual acuity at a level to operate motor vehicles.
- Stamina to work in very cold and hot temperatures, and inclement weather.
- Ability to drive and operate equipment up to 8-10 hours a day.
- Possess a valid State of Alabama Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL), Class A preferred, or ability to obtain at least a Class B within approximately six (6) months of hire.
- Must have driving record suitable for insurability.
- At least six (6) months experience in operating medium to heavy tractors and trucks.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Ave, Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to the City of Guntersville Personnel Department. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY