Job Title: Animal Control Officer/School Crossing Guard
Department: Police Department
Classification: Hourly, Non-Expt. ( Reg. PS, Grade 6: $10.59-$15.46)
Announcement No.: 19-22
Announcement Date: November 20, 2019
Closing Date: Until Position is Filled
The City of Guntersville currently has an opening for an Animal Control Officer/School Crossing Guard with the Police Department. The primary duties and responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Patrols area of the city to enforce all provisions of federal, state and local codes and ordinances as it applies to animal control activities.
- Responds to incoming calls from citizens and agencies concerning animal control issues, specifically: potential animal abuse or neglect, animal bites, stray/nuisance animals, sick/diseased animals, wild/dangerous animals, injured/dead animals; accesses situation and determines appropriate action; assumes safe operations control over animal capture scenes.
- Traps/captures and restrains animals; accesses the extent of any injuries; transports to animal shelter, veterinarian, or as otherwise directed; advises veterinarian as to extent of injuries and/or quality of life of the animal.
- Returns wild animals to their natural habitat.
- Prepares and/or generates correspondence, depositions, forms, reports and documents; maintains records of departmental activities and documentation. Makes every effort to notify owner of impounded animals.
- Investigates, as needed, violations concerning inhumane treatment of domestic animals and reports to proper authorities. Issues citations for violations. Testifies in court as necessary.
- Operates and maintains truck, trailer and other equipment to perform job activities.
- Performs various other duties within the Police Department concerning public safety including school crossing guard and traffic control.
- Must be able to maintain good interpersonal relationships with staff, co-worker, supervisors and citizens.
- Performs related work as assigned or required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the purposes and methods of animal control programs.
- Knowledge of effective methods of controlling and containment of domestic and other animals.
- Knowledge of and/or ability to learn the laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations concerning the controlling of animals.
- Knowledge of geography of the city.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Knowledge of work hazards associated with animal control.
- Skill in the use of service vehicle operation and equipment necessary for job performance.
- Ability to read, understand, and interpret codes, laws, regulations, policies and procedures of animal collection, impoundment, quarantine and disposal.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with general public, public officials, supervisors, co-workers, and those in contact with in the course of work.
- Ability to deal with citizens in a courteous and pleasant manner.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and be on 24 hour call.
- Ability to capture, secure, and transport domestic and non-domestic animals.
- Ability to prepare necessary reports and records and maintenance.
- Ability to operate a variety of tools, capture equipment, and related gear used for capture and securing of animals.
- Ability to operate a variety of office equipment and communication equipment including computer, fax machine, copier, cellular phone, and two-way radio.
- High school diploma or GED
- Possess and maintain a valid Alabama driver’s license with driving record suitable for insurability.
- Certified as an Animal Control Officer or obtain basic certificate within one year following date of hire.
- Ability to apprehend animals including walking, running, crawling, etc.
- Ability to load and unload animals into truck and cages.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Avenue, Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY