Job Title: Accounts Payable Clerk
Classification: Hourly, Non-Exempt
Announcement No.: 20-20
Announcement Date: November 20, 2020
Closing Date: When Position is Filled
- Processes payment for all City invoices, utilities, credit cards, and all other re-occurring expenditures in a timely manner using applicable software; cross reference invoices with purchase orders and receiving tickets or services received; verify payments are charged to appropriate account code; forward printed checks to Mayor and City Clerk/Treasurer for approval and signatures.
- Maintains accounts payable files and records; assist external auditors by providing documents or information as requested.
- Sets up new vendors and maintains related vendor information and files.
- Ensures employee travel request are completed with appropriate approvals; issues travel reimbursement in accordance with the City’s Travel Policy.
- Generates and provides reports to department heads/supervisors as requested or necessary.
- Address and respond to inquiries from vendors, department heads, supervisors, or employees; reconcile invoice discrepancies as needed.
- Issues and/or approves purchase orders when needed in the absence of City Clerk/Treasurer; assist with issuing or renewing of business license when needed; assist with accounts receivable, daily income reports, and deposits as needed.
- Performs administrative task such as answering phones, processing and copying paperwork and documents.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of business English and correspondence preparation, spelling, and mathematical principles.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of accounting, bookkeeping, financial record keeping, procurement, and state and local purchasing laws.
- Knowledge of state and/or local ordinances or laws applying to general municipal agency operations and procedures relating to procurement, bidding, bookkeeping, tax and fee collections and preservation of municipal financial records.
- Strong computers skills to include applicable software applications and Microsoft Office.
- Strong time management and organizational skills with a high degree of attention to detail.
- Skilled in the use modern office equipment.
- Skilled in analyzing information and accounts for discrepancies.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to exercise good judgement in job performance in accordance with established procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to maintain administrative, fiscal, and general records, and to prepare reports and answer questions.
- Ability to read and interpret city, state, and federal regulations applicable to course of work.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally, and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, co-workers, supervisors, department heads, elected officials, general public, and those in contact in the course of work.
- Ability to perform essential functions.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or G.E.D. equivalent; 3-5 years of any combination of experience and training equivalent to experience in governmental purchasing, bookkeeping, and related clerical work including supplemental courses in purchasing, business law, and bookkeeping. Associates degree or higher in Business Administration or related field preferred.
Applications may be obtained from the City of Guntersville Personnel Office at 341 Gunter Avenue, Guntersville, AL or visit our website at www.guntersvilleal.org. Completed applications for qualified applicants should be returned to Ms. Renea Bradley Rowan, Personnel Director. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
THE CITY OF GUNTERSVILLE IS A DRUG/ALCOHOL FREE WORKPLACE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
WE PARTICIPATE IN E-VERIFY